Article provided by: hashtagspace.social
The world of social media has completely changed the way we connect with each other but let’s face it there are some ugly aspects of traditional social networking sites that we all want to change. In fact, many believe that platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Google, Snapchat, and Twitter bring more harm than benefits. The internet is controlled by few big companies and while you use their famous internet platforms at no cost, they generate your data and use it to sell targeted ads. Not only this, but these major social platforms are still facing challenges when it comes to privacy violations, censorship, user control, malicious activities, cyberbullying, and most importantly political misinformation. Therefore, the concept of decentralized social movements is gaining immense popularity among the new generation. The idea behind decentralized networks is quite interesting. Instead of using cooperate owned platforms, people create look-alike platforms where they could easily meet, interact, flirt, argue, and share whatever is in their mind without having the fear of getting banned from the website. In short, the users have freedom of speech. You don’t have to do anything extra. The decentralized platforms are a substitute for those big-short forums where only the owners use tactics to put money in their pockets and make it heavier and heavier. To make it more clear, here are reasons why people are more inclined towards decentralized software.
- Independent Servers: Unlike centralized networks, decentralized social platforms run on independent servers. The content uploaded on them is not controlled by a single business.
- User Control: In decentralized social media, the user has much more autonomy and control. Anyone can start up their social network and then determine how other users can operate it and set certain terms of acceptable behavior for the site.
- No Single Authority: Along with this, the decentralized networks have no central authority. Each group will have its own set of rules which can’t be determined by any other groups.
- Freehold Ownership: over personal data is another significant reason why people prefer moving to decentralized networks. This means no when, whether a corporation or site administrator, can bring any modification in content created by the user.
- Censorship Resistance: Another issue which people face on centralized social networks like Facebook is the restriction over free speech. Any content which doesn’t follow the rules determined by the business gets immediately censored from the platform. However, social media decentralization enables the user to have the final word on their content, in other words, users are free to highlight their point of view in front of the entire world.
- Maximum Security: Data privacy and security are one more factor for the immense popularity of decentralized networks. It allows users to create accounts without having to put up their real-world identities in front of the world, like their phone numbers or email addresses.
- Economic Neutrality: While the big social platforms like Facebook and Twitter generate their revenue through consumers’ data, without giving any cut to its users like you and me, the decentralized networks split the revenue among the participants based on their involvement. It means you get a significant amount of share for all the posts, videos, and images you upload on those free social networking sites.
- End-to-End Encryption: One more feature the decentralized networks have is end-to-end encryption. While the famous platform only says it, but social media which is decentralized has made it possible. Even though Facebook and Twitter have no bad intentions but they are saving all the databases of your personal information and it is scary to know that it is possible that if someone gets access to their digital storage, they can read all your messages. Hence, decentralized software has in-built security and privacy protection mechanisms where all your content, be it messages, images, or videos reaches the desired destination without being intercepted by any third party.
All in all, decentralization has completely changed the world of social media and has made it far better. The trend of traditional social media is slowly heading towards a dead end and in this scenario, the decentralized apps are gaining momentum because the switch from centralized apps to decentralized ones is seamless and is much more beneficial for the users. It offers its users the opportunity to earn income for their participation. Therefore, it is safe to say that decentralization is the future of social media. So, if you’re also fed up with the “my way or Highway” attitude of these big tech apps, then perhaps it’s high time you move to decentralized apps and enjoy the privacy and freedom of speech you always wanted.